A really good quote makes us see, if just for a moment, something we couldn’t see before. When we need to change direction or summon our strength, the right words tend to find us.
Here are 12 of my favorite quotes, that found me when I needed them:
- “There is a time for departure, even when there’s no certain place to go.” – Tennessee Williams
- “Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature…Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.” – Helen Keller
- “Here is a rule to remember when anything tempts you to feel bitter: not, ‘This is a misfortune,’ but ‘To bear this worthily is good fortune’.” – Marcus Aurelius
- “If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased.” – Katharine Hepburn
- “Sorrow is a fruit. God does not allow it to grow on a branch that is too weak to bear it.” – Victor Hugo
- “Sometimes I dread the truth of the lines I say. But the dread must never show.” – Vivien Leigh
- “You can be absolutely certain that when you feel you are being most unfairly tested, you are being prepared for great achievement.” – Napoleon Hill
- “Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.” – Carl Jung
- “Life has no other discipline to impose, if we would but realize it, than to accept life unquestioningly. Everything we shut our eyes to, everything we run away from, everything we deny, denigrate or despise, serves to defeat us in the end. What seems nasty, painful, evil, can become a source of beauty, joy and strength, if faced with an open mind. Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.” – Henry Miller
- “I never lose sight of the fact that just being is fun.” – Katharine Hepburn
- “Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.” – Albert Camus
- “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” – Kahlil Gibran
Have there been times when the right words have found you at the right moment? Share your thoughts and ideas in the comments.