- Observe your emotions running away with you.
- “I feel (insert emotion here) and it’s starting to overwhelm me.”
- Bring yourself back to “neutral” (where your emotions become manageable).
- For me, this is some kind of physical activity (even as light as walking or stretching). I tend towards activities that are “in my head” (e.g. observing, analyzing, writing) so doing something that increases my body awareness will pull me back towards neutral.
- Break the activity you need to do (the one that your emotions are preventing you from doing) into very small steps.
- Start with the easiest step and complete it (so you can succeed immediately).
- Work your way through the steps in order of difficulty to build momentum.
Do you have a process for getting your emotions under control? In what ways do you bring yourself back to “neutral” when you are overwhelmed? Let us know what you think in the comments.